Quick Snack Ideas
Typically snacking all day increases your metabolism and helps your digestive system work better but the big reason snacking is important is that it promotes weight loss and the ability to maintain an optimal weight. People who skip meals or have long gaps between eating times are more likely to overeat at the next meal and will crave foods that are fatty and have more sugar because the body wants that energy.
Eating often is pretty difficult for most people though bercause of work schedules and it also feels odd at first if you are making yourself eat when you are not feeling hungry. But it is a healthy way to eat . “Grazing” helps you stay focused too and contributes to a high energy level throughout the day.
Ideally, you should try to fuel your body with food every 3-4 hours. In between all your main meals, snacking once or twice will provide the extra protein and carbs your body needs.
- Cut up apple with almond butter
- Plain yogurt (or soy yogurt) with walnuts, blueberries (can use frozen) and a touch of honey
- Hummus and carrots
- Baked taco chips with black bean dip, salsa and/or guacamole
- Trail mix: Walnuts, almonds, goji berries and dark chocolate chips
- Organic instant oatmeal (1 package) with nuts or raisins
- Edamame and rice crackers
- 1 scrambled egg on half a whole-wheat English muffin with salsa and avocado
- Cottage cheese with fruit or veggies (i.e tomatoes or pineapple)
- Granola bars (look for natural ones with ingredients you recognize)
- Hard-boiled egg and crackers
- Half a banana and almond butter sandwich on whole-wheat or grain bread
- Dessert tofu with almond slices
This page will be constantly updated as I discover more snacks. Check back often!